This recipe is a great vegetarian alternative to a comforting stew which we know you will LOVE. This Chickpea curry packs a punch in taste as well as brimming with health benefits. It is a great source of fiber, which is essential for weight loss; as well as containing turmeric which is a powerful antioxidant which is well known for its cancer-fighting properties and anti-inflammatory benefits. Overall this is a great dinner option which will be even tastier for lunch the next day if you manage to have some left-overs!
Delightful Chickpea Curry
Serves 4 | Calories 412 | Fat 4.8 g | Carbs 24.2 g | Protein 11.5 g
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 or 2 green chilies, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 14-oz cans of chickpeas, drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (optional) spice or fresh
- freshly ground black pepper
- 500 g cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 100 g (3 1/2 ounces) baby spinach leaves
- Serve with: plain yogurt
- In a large saucepan melt your butter before then adding the oil, onion, garlic, ginger, chili, and salt. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent and soft.
- Add the chickpeas, 1/2 the can of water, cumin, turmeric, and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes, or until the water evaporates.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for another 2 minutes to soften. Remove from the heat and taste for seasoning. Stir through the spinach and top with yogurt.