Moussaka, the second cousin of lasagne is a delectable comfort dish we know you are going to love. It’s a casserole combo which helps to boost your veggies while keeping your carbs low. This is one of those dishes which gets better the next day, you’ll love having this as left-overs! The cheese goodness mixed with the cinnamon spiced tomatoey filling will keep you coming back time and time again!
Serves 6 | Calories 389 | Fat 21g | Carbs 21.7g | Protein 32.g
For the filling:
- 2 large eggplant, thinly sliced
- 25g Salted Organic Butter
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium Zucchini grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g lamb mince
- 400g pork mince
- 1 litre Organic Passata
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Lemon wedges to serve
For the white sauce:
- 1/3 cup grated organic tasty cheese
- 1/3 cup tapioca or arrowroot
- 2 cups coconut milk
- Heat your griddle and coat with butter. Add salt on both sides of your eggplant and add to the griddle. Cook eggplant in batches, for 2 to 3 minutes each side or until browned. Transfer to a large plate.
- Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion has softened. Add mince. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up mince, for 6 to 8 minutes or until browned. Add passata, cinnamon and allspice. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 30 minutes or until sauce is thick and liquid has evaporated. Add salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce by adding the milk to a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until bubbling. Gradually stir in the cheese. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until mixture has thickened. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Using an ovenproof dish, place one-third of the eggplant, slightly overlapping, over base of prepared dish. Spread half the meat sauce over eggplant. Repeat layers, ending with eggplant. Spread white sauce over eggplant. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden. Stand 15 minutes.
Serve with lemon wedges and a greek salad.