When you just want something quick and easy, toasties are a trusty go-to and a great opportunity to add some delicious veggies to your meal plan. We may have taken the sentiment ‘eat the rainbow’ literally here; the basil pesto and gooey cheese really pull together all of the different flavors of the veggies. This toastie recipe is surprisingly filling and offers a generous amount of fiber making it a delicious and wholesome meal.
Pesto & Veggie Toastie (V, VGO, GFO)
Serves 1 | Calories 344 | Fat 14.9g | C 44.6g | Protein 8.2g
- 2 slices of sourdough (gluten-free bread optional)
- 15g green pesto (we used Sacla Free From Dairy pesto)
- 25 g sun-dried tomatoes (oil free)
- 60g pumpkin sliced
- tbsp sliced red onion
- a few slices of zucchini
- 10g alfalfa sprouts
- pinch of rocket or spinach
- 15g grated cheese (optional)
- Slice the pumpkin and place on a baking tray. Roast in the oven at 180 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until the pumpkin is nice and soft.
- While the pumpkin is in the oven, slice zucchini using a vegetable peeler and prepare other veggies as desired.
- Heat a griddle pan or sandwich press and spray a light layer of oil. Spread pesto onto one side of each slice of sourdough and place one slice in the pan on the opposite side to pesto.
- Carefully layer veggies onto your slice of sourdough as desired and top with the other slice. Lightly press down with a spatula and carefully flip to cook the other side. If using a sandwich press, just close the lid until your toastie is cooked through.