This Dragon pie is packed with so much flavour and goodness that you just can’t pass up on this recipe. A second cousin to your typical Shepperd’s pie, with this version being both vegan and vegetarian friendly. If you are a meat-lover you could substitute for beef mince, either way, we know this is something you will love. We love this dish for a winter warmer or as a Sunday food prep inspiration, which no doubt you will make time and time again.
Red Dragon Pie
Serves 8 | Calories 334 | Fat 4.5g | Carbs 58g | Protein 12g
- 2 cups yellow split peas
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 red onions finely chopped
- 1 brown onion finely chopped
- 2 sweet paprika finely chopped
- 1 red capsicum finely chopped
- 1 carrot finely chopped (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1.5kg sweet potatoes chopped and boiled for mash
- 500mL Passata
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1.5 tbsp dried Italian herbs
- half tsp of sumac
- half tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp nigella seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Fry onions, paprika, capsicum, carrots, garlic, cumin & nigella seeds, until onions are translucent.
- Add Passata and tomatoes. Simmer for 2 minutes. Add lentils and split peas. Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Grab an oven dish & layer the base with the lentil sauce mixture. Top with mash potato and sprinkle with vegan cheese or lactose free cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until crispy on top at 180 degrees.
Once done, let the dish rest for 10 minutes outside the oven and serve with a delicious baby rocket salad!